William Ruthven Secondary College is a single campus, co-educational secondary college, catering for Years 7 to 12. It was established on January 1, 2010 to serve the northern metropolitan communities of Reservoir, Preston, Coburg, Thomastown and Campbellfield in Melbourne, Victoria.
We are proud to be named in honour of former local member and World War I Victoria Cross recipient William Ruthven, whose strong commitment to community service and personal qualities of honour and bravery are reflected in our core promise; LEARN – Leadership Excellence Acceptance Respect Now @ WRSC.
Our innovative curriculum ensures that literacy, numeracy and curiosity are the foundations of learning from Years 7-10, maximising success in the VCE and VCAL.
Our learning model is guided by the Curiosity and Powerful Learning framework. Our teachers support our students to set challenging goals and together, we commit to doing our best to achieve those goals.
Experienced and passionate teachers take part in ongoing coaching and mentoring to constantly improve the ways they can support student goals and cater to each student’s learning needs.
Families are regularly updated on student progress, and to ensure learning is fully supported. William Ruthven Secondary College has a strong, supportive School Council and Student Representative Council and enjoys excellent partnerships with La Trobe University, RMIT University, the Northern Local Learning and Employment Network and our sister school located in Inzai, Japan.
Sergeant William “Rusty” Ruthven was just 24 when his courageous actions at Ville-sur-Ancre, near Somme in France, earned him the prestigious Victoria Cross for bravery in 1918.
- LEARN – Leadership Excellence Acceptance Respect Now @ WRSC is our core promise and we strive to consistently provide our students with the best opportunities to learn, grow and develop the skills they need to achieve their goals.
- We wholeheartedly believe in the potential of every student to achieve their best — and be their best. Our compassionate and nurturing learning environment encourages students to be confident and commit to achieving their potential.
- The William Ruthven Secondary College community is dedicated to enabling students to explore, dream and discover; every student’s education is tailored to their individual needs through engaging and relevant learning experiences.
- Community engagement is pivotal to our learning model, and we offer students ongoing opportunities through our close relationships with La Trobe University, RMIT University, Sutton Tools, Northern Local Learning and Employment Network and local learning networks.
- Our students are the focus of all we do at William Ruthven Secondary College and we strive to ensure their future success.